Friday, March 13, 2009

my monthly check in

In case you are wondering, no I have not been running. On the days I get up the nerve to get back out there a cold front hits and that is the perfect excuse. I always think, the hardest part of a run is actually getting your shoes on and going out the door it is not the distance of the workout.

I am thinking of changing the content of my blog. I am a reader. I read about 3-4 books a month. I am a fiction reader but most of the time these books have a lot of meaning to them. I wanted to write about how my latest read (thank you Stacy) has affected me. The title is Firefly Lane and it follows two girls as they grow into women and beyond. They find their own ways in life but are the best of friends. It is amazing the forgiveness they muster in their friendship and the way the stay at home mom mothers. It is a book that has shown me how fragile life is and our relationships to our daughters. It was a blast from the past of difficult years in junior high and high school. Finding myself and how I fit into my family, my world and my body. It has helped me to hold on to my girls this week and the small spats we have now. I realize they are nothing compared to what is to come. This book also deals with our immortality. During the Lenten season in the Catholic church immortality is a mystery we contemplate. So, it has been on my mind already. When reading this book I was forced to think of death of myself and my own mother. Whenever we are confronted with this idea I think it is natural to change our living, better our relationships and hold on to those precious moments in life. This is where my blog title comes in. We must Be Not Afraid to live life now so that we may build the eternal life we want with God.

2 comments:

nicole said...

I'm always looking for books, so I look forward to you sharing what you are reading.

Spring is just about here and you will have no excuses. :) Let's find a 5K to run together in May, or something.

Amy D said...

yay for posting!

fyi: paul and i are thinking about doing the fort worth zoo run (5k) on april 18th...cost is $20 for individual, $18 for a team of 5 or more...